Cricutolics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cricut Imagine - To Buy or Not To Buy, That is the Question!!!

+5
Lakul
Admin
StayingCrafty
loopylou
nickyw33
9 posters

Go down

Cricut Imagine - To Buy or Not To Buy, That is the Question!!! Empty Cricut Imagine - To Buy or Not To Buy, That is the Question!!!

Post  nickyw33 Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:24 am

Morning all,

I was wondering if any of you owned the Cricut Imagine??? I have been considering buying one since the launch on C&C last year. Problem was obviously the price!

C&C have it on a Blockbuster price at the moment with Flexipay, which makes it is much more affordable for me. I would still like to hear peoples views on whether its worth buying or not?!?!

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nicky
nickyw33
nickyw33

http://cavaliercrafts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Cricut Imagine - To Buy or Not To Buy, That is the Question!!! Empty Re: Cricut Imagine - To Buy or Not To Buy, That is the Question!!!

Post  loopylou Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:24 am

I can't help you very much on this one hun as I just don't fancy it at all. I like to cut bits out of colours I fancy and layer up bits and bobs differently to how the imagine does it but that is just because thats what I like so I am sure there are a squillion people that will love the imagine. Wonder if theres anything around on you tube you could look at hun? xx
loopylou
loopylou

http://loopylousloopythoughts.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Cricut Imagine - To Buy or Not To Buy, That is the Question!!! Empty Re: Cricut Imagine - To Buy or Not To Buy, That is the Question!!!

Post  StayingCrafty Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 am

I have no intention of buying it, at least not right now at the current price and with the limited capabilities.

Here's my issues with it.

It's expensive

It's large

They did not make it for thicker materials, so we are more limited there than we are in our other machines

We can't do much to change the images, or we lose the detail - because of this all the projects look EXTREMELY similar compared to cutting patterned paper and such because everyone uses different products

Patterned papers are nice, and it is very cool that they adjust the size of the pattern to fit the image - however - it's VERY expensive to print larger sheets at home compared to buying it at the store. Especially since I like to buy big packs of paper on sale, which is often embossed, glittered,etc.

I will get extremely bored with the same patterns, colors, and images that I can only tinker with so much. By the time I'm done using a whole paper stack I'm usually bored with it. It's fun to get new patterns, colors, etc. I won't want to use the same patterns year after year, but after investing that much money into them - I'd feel like I should.

Honestly there are SO many wonderful digital scrap-booking elements & kits, plus cute clip art all over the internet for reasonable prices. If you look at Etsy.com for clip art and digital images you'll find thousands of cute things, and you can get a set of clip art you like for around $5. The ONLY thing you miss out on is the easy layering - but really - if you have a pair of scissors is it really worth $600 not to have to use them, and then be limited by these images?

This isn't to bash anyone who loves their Imagine, but it's my honest opinion. I like some of the images, and the idea is really cool - I just can't justify spending that kind of money for such limited capabilities. I can do all sorts of amazing things with my Expression, and I've got a printer and the ability to download digital images I can print. So, I just don't see any real reason to drop that kind of money.

Every other machine they make - I love! I'm a huge fan of the Cuttlebug, Cake, Cricut machines, and can't wait to get my hands on a Yudu and even a Your Story, but this just isn't worth it for me.

Down the line as the price drops, the cartridge selection broadens, and they give it more capabilities I could certainly want one! I'm not saying never here, just not right now given the current pricing and capabilities. Very Happy
StayingCrafty
StayingCrafty

http://stayingcrafty.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:31 am

Thats a very concise appraisal of the situation and tbh one that I whole heartidly agree with. I have also heard it is very noisy, so much so that it makes you wonder if all is ok. I think it is too early in its development to try it although C&C price make it attractive. Another point in my opinion is that they should have made it individual colours not a tri-coloour cart, but that is something I look for in all my printers as in the long run it makes the machines far more economical.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://ladybugcricut.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lakul Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:42 am

I have to agree with the points already made. I have a printer and an Expression, so why would I want an Imagine. Plus just think of all the extra goodies you could buy with all that money Laughing
Lakul
Lakul

http://lakulcards.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy Chomas Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:32 am

I'm with staying crafty on this! Hi Amber!!
I also want to add the fact that there is no creative use of it yet. I ended up with one because I went to the launch of it at CHA, but I wasn't about to buy one. I used it a little when I first got it for some printable vinyl, but everything looks the same and I got bored quick. Until I can use Design Studio, the Gypsy or some computer program with it, I'm at all not impressed. I like doing my own thing, and with it, I can not. Kinda boring!
Also it is HUGE! And you do have to keep 12 inches between it and the wall, so that takes up more room.

Amy Chomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Enfys Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:02 pm

Another no here, I haven't considered it for a nano second. I don't like the border it leaves around images - to me the cuts look like those cheapo stickers you can buy. I don't have the room for one. I prefer to spend any spare cash on shape cartridges, I don't want to have to add pattern cartridges into the mix. PLUS I have a very low boredom threshold and would get very very bored using the same limited colour pallette and patterns over and over. To me, the cuts all look very samey.
Enfys
Enfys

http://going-buggy.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:23 am

Another no from me as well, it's too big (we live in a very small flat), and for me, really defeats the point of having a cricut, I love cutting out all the little bits and sticking them together Smile I'm sure its great for some people, its just not for me Smile
Kat
Kat

http://the-kats-whiskers.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nickyw33 Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:52 pm

Thank you so much for your honest opinions!

I haven't done much research at all into the Cricut Imagine, and this is something I would have done before buying anything!! I always prefer to hear from other crafters to see what they think as they will always give an honest assessment of an item.

I agree that the imagine is an expensive item especially for what it can do - at this present time anyway!!

Thanks again
Nicky x

nickyw33
nickyw33

http://cavaliercrafts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:56 pm

I just love Mine.She can be used on her own or with all the other cricut carts.I have only just had her for Christmas so I've not used her much but I can deffinatley see alot of potential with this machine.When I get back from my trip in Feb I will post alot more about her Watch this Space.
chris xx
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down