Cricutolics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ... by Pam from The Bug Bytes

+3
Admin
SassyLady
thebugbytes
7 posters

Go down

April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ...  by Pam from The Bug Bytes Empty April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ... by Pam from The Bug Bytes

Post  thebugbytes Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Hello
This is Pam at The Bug Bytes

It is a honor to be a guest designer at Cricutolics. Thank you Liz for having me on here. I hope I have got the time difference right and posted at the scheduled time frame.
It so happens next week is our wedding anniversary - our 19th anniversary. And I thought I would make an anniversary card as the project. I wanted to incorporate knitting into the card. I used to do lots of knitting and still love it. A great way of relaxing for me but my hubby used to think knitting was for pregnant ladies and old woman. I know - poor man needed lots of education in the way of craft! So I chose knitting as the main theme in my card. Hope when he sees it brings a smile on his face. Lol and hope I do not scare him into thinking I am pregnant but just getting OLD.
So here is my simple , simple card. I have not done much in the way of embellishments nor gone for bright colors as muted colors are what he likes.

April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ...  by Pam from The Bug Bytes 1

I used a double sided paper from K&Company - Que Serra Serra stack.
Now before you try this technique here are a few things I found I had to pay particular attention to

1) The weight of the paper - It definitely needs a slightly heavy cardstock paper as the wool piece gets a bit heavy.
2) lol since it is heavy it's not that fun mailing!
3) Try using a real lightweight wool .

So I first cut the card at 10 x 6.5 inches so that when it folds it is 5 x 6 1/2 inches. I love this size as we have the same size card and envelopes available in Hobby Lobby - a local Scrapbook store here in Texas . I usually get the ivory colored ones for making quick cards. And I store the same dimension in my Gypsy in a file. So when I want to make a card I open the file and add a new layer and first thing I do before I forget is to save as and give it a new project name - in this case Pam_KnitCard. (While saving in Gypsy spaces are best avoides and so are many wild card characters.) This way I keep the original file and have another one for the project and I can add in new layer using the previous page as a template (provided you keep the preview eye open).
I then knitted a rectangle (simple - knit, pearl pattern) approx 5.5 inches x 4 inches. I wanted kind of scallop finish so even though I do not crochet much - decided to some random crochet. Well I do not know to talk in crochet terms either so it is a bit difficult explaining what I did but I'll try. I first went around making 3 chains all around the perimeter picking up a loop - in alternate stitches though I think it would have looked better if I had skipped 2 instead of one. Then in the next round just a - single crochet, double crochet and single crochet and slip right in the pillar . I hope I am not mashing the crochet terms and making some sense of the terms.
Even though I have the dimension of the card in Gypsy I do not cut the cards in cricut but in my trimmer as I have not been able to get a proper rectangle and when I fold the card I find I have to trim to even it out - so I just use a trimmer. Always know the nature of the beast is one of my favorite mottos. But the dimensions are a big help in sizing the rest of the images which go on the card. Here since I wanted the image to sit inside the wool piece I knit I added a rectangle 5x 3.5 (dimensions are all in inches) in the previous layer/page in G.
I just searched for keyword - Knit and chose this image. Now I was upstairs in my studio while my computer is usually downstairs and I was too lazy to pick up a booklet. So what I do is just choose the basic image add it and resize it (usually the shadow is a bit bigger so give room for that extra ). Then note the size and tap on an empty area of mat and change the cursor size to the size I noted. That way if I do not click on the real dial size button (the one that has the lettera). I can add the layers individually - very helpful when we do not want the images running out of the mat area and still keeping it all layered. When I can't get to the booklet - this way I add all possible layer combinations and ungroup and see which fit and which are the layers in an image and delete the rest.
I chose to cut the image at 2 1/2 inches on a white cardstock and inked it. Then I cut some more rectangles and mounted the image . I used a fabric adhesive glue to hold the image label on to the wool and the wool on to the card. I had a couple of acrylic stickers which look like a frame so inserted one end of the knitted wool into it and held it down with a brad.

April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ...  by Pam from The Bug Bytes 2

Here's a close up of the image

April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ...  by Pam from The Bug Bytes 3

And here's the inside of the card

April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ...  by Pam from The Bug Bytes 4

Here below I just wanted a funky shape tag so I used nestability and partly ran it through the cuttlebug - the area which does not need cutting had a rubber mat on top so that it does not cut through. I reinforced the hole with round tabs and pop darted the tag on to the card. The other piece is the 2nd piece of acrylic frame that I had.

April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ...  by Pam from The Bug Bytes 5

And the sentiment part of the card - pg 3. Using a font on my computer I just typed whatever my mind came up with in wordart and imported it into photoshop. I really liked the reflection else I could have done it all in photoshop. I also searched for some free knit fonts and added a couple of images. Used nestability to cut

April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ...  by Pam from The Bug Bytes 6

So that's my simple card which I hope hubby likes. He did see me knitting and made faces. SO I hope when he gets the card he feels a tiny bit guilty. Thank you Liz once more for having me on today here as a guest designer

thebugbytes

Back to top Go down

April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ...  by Pam from The Bug Bytes Empty Happy Anniversary Pam

Post  SassyLady Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:06 am

Pam this is a BEAUTIFUL card. It is so unique love the knitting on it. I am sure he will love it, and I hope you two will have a WONDERFUL anniversary. TFS
SassyLady
SassyLady

http://shesasassylady.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ...  by Pam from The Bug Bytes Empty Re: April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ... by Pam from The Bug Bytes

Post  Admin Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks Pam for a truely novel card idea incorporating two of your loves. Thanks for the detailed instructions and the photos it will be a great help to others. I'm not a knitter myself, I can do, but it grows too slow for my liking! I used to crochet a lot when I was younger and I am sure a crocheter would be able to adapt the idea to incorporate crocheting rather than knitting. Brilliant project well done.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://ladybugcricut.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ...  by Pam from The Bug Bytes Empty Re: April 15th - Celebrating the Day When ... by Pam from The Bug Bytes

Post  Pam Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:35 am

Thank you for sharing.

Pam

Back to top Go down

Post  JulieH Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:42 pm

What a beautiful and unique card you've created and such a wonderful sentiment which is perfect for your anniversary. Thank you so much for sharing with us and all the great insructions too!
Juliex
JulieH
JulieH

http://huxtershouse.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lakul Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:12 am

Pam, thanks for sharing your fantastic creations. I'm not a knitter, but you have provided great inspiration for those that do knit. I would never have thought to put knitting on my cards.
Lakul
Lakul

http://lakulcards.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kam1 Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 am

Hi Pam,

I loved your project. I'm not knitter, but I do try and look for crocheted/ knitted items to put on cards etc as embellishments.

Kelly Very Happy

Kam1

http://www.kamscraftyplace.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down